International Transcript Requirements
Students applying with coursework and degrees from institutions outside the U.S. must submit the following documents:
- Official international and French Canadian transcripts must be sent to PLU Graduate Admission Office.
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98447-0003
- Copy of university/college degree diploma
English translations provided by PLU approved translation services if the transcripts and documents are in a language other than English.
- PLU reserves the right to request further evaluation by an approved credential evaluation agency. World Education Services (WES) is the preferred agency. Please follow these steps:
- Go to either www.wes.org and follow their instructions to order a credential evaluation.
- Request your schools to send official transcripts directly to either WES. If your schools send official transcripts to WES, they do not need to send the transcripts to PLU.
- Request WES send their transcript evaluation with the verified transcripts and English translation (if applicable) directly to GradCAS, NursingCAS or BusinessCAS based on the degree program you are applying for. You will see more instructions when you log into the application portal.
Proof of English proficiency
Proficiency in English is required for graduate study at Pacific Lutheran University. Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency.
Proficiency can be demonstrated by the official score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). See below for the minimum requirements for each graduate program.
English Proficiency Requirements
|Business - Master of Business Administration||83||6.5|
|Business – Master of Science in Marketing Analytics||83||6.5|
|Creative Writing – Master of Arts in Creative Writing||80||6.5|
|Education – Master of Arts in Education with Certification||80||6.5|
|Education – Master of Arts in Education Alternative Routes||80||6.5|
|Education – Master of Arts in Education Non-Certification||80||6.5|
|Marriage and Family Therapy – Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy||80||6.5|
|Master of Science in Kinesiology||80||6.5|
|Nursing – Master of Science in Nursing||86||6.5|
|Nursing – Doctor in Nursing Practice||86||6.5|
|Nursing – Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner Certificate||86||6.5|
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the United States. (This does not apply to nursing programs).
- A baccalaureate degree or higher from a recognized college or university in an English-speaking country or region, including Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), Great Britain, Ireland, or New Zealand. (This does not apply to nursing programs).
- Both primary and secondary education in an English-speaking country or region, including Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States. Students are considered to be a native English speaker.
- A recognized Intensive English Program (IEP) in the United States and received an English proficiency level equivalent to the required minimum TOEFL/IELTS scores of the applied program.
Other waiver conditions may be allowed subject to the determination of individual graduate program.
Note: International students who do not meet the English language proficiency requirements are encouraged to join the University community through the International Pathways Program (IPP).
An I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status) will be issued only after the student has been admitted and paid the non-refundable $300.00 advance tuition payment and has returned all required acceptance forms.
The I-20 form should be taken to the U.S. Consulate when requesting a visa to come to the United States for a graduate program. The following items are not required for the application to be considered for admission, but are required prior to issuance of an I-20.
To expedite admission processing, applicants should consider submitting the following with application documents:
- Declaration of Financial Support Forms, including proof of financial support dated within 12 months. English translation is required if the documents are not issued in English. Certification of finances from banks or embassies is permissible.
- Copy of passport picture page
- Address and associated phone number to which to send the I-20 via courier service