Principal Preparation Program
INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP – With a focus on best practices, candidates will learn how to lead achievement of all students, evaluate instruction and lead learning.
HIGH-TOUCH – Small cohorts allow for individualized coaching, engaged discussions and meaningful feedback.
BALANCE – The simultaneous internship paired with coursework allows for interns to practice theory while reflecting on leadership effectiveness.
Pacific Lutheran University residency administrator program is a 12 month program. The program provides candidates with the practical knowledge and skills they need to lead a school community in a responsive and results-oriented way. Rigorous coursework and clinical experiences lead to the development of a Culminating Professional Portfolio which includes performance-based documentation of candidates’ knowledge, skills, dispositions and professional behaviors.
The program offers small cohorts led by specially trained and experienced instructors including local current practitioners and discipline specific faculty. Program coursework is built around the ISSLC standards and emphasizes instructional leadership, data analysis, special education and more.
Willie Stewart '69
- Total Credits: 32 credits
- Program Cost: $16,000
- Program Length: 12 months. Program may be extended on an individual basis.
- Program Start: June 2017
- Program Options: Residency Principal. This program is currently Certification Only, all applicants must have a master’s degree
- Internship: A 540 hour Principal internship will occur simultaneously with coursework from August – June. Admitted candidates are required to receive district internship support.
Program Plan: During the first summer, classes are held on campus and online typically three-four weekdays per week. Fall and spring classes are held one to two weekday evenings and some weekends. To view a sample program calendar click here.
Want to learn more? Interested participants are invited to attend an information session, schedule an in-person or phone advising appointment, or visit the program webpage.
Campus Information Session
Click here to RSVP
Priority consideration will be given to applications received on or prior to December 15. Applicants who wish to be considered for the AWSP Internship Grant should contact the program as soon as possible. Applications received after Feb 9th will be reviewed on a space available basis through May 1. All application materials must be postmarked by May 5th to be considered for the summer program.
Supply all program admission items to PLU’s Education Office at
Pacific Lutheran University
School of Education
12180 Park Ave S.
Tacoma, WA 98447-0003
Deadlines: Priority applications are due Friday, February 16, 2017 in order to be eligible for the Washington State Intern Grant. The AWSP internship grant will open December 4, 2017.
The successful application will include:
- PLU Administrator online program application
- $40 application fee
- Washington State Professional or Continuing Teacher Certificate
- Evidence of a Bachelors and Master’s degree
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities attended
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Letter of District Internship support
- OSPI forms 4001F-C and OSPI form 4201
- A current resume
- Applications for the 2017 cohort are currently being accepted
- Feb 16 – Priority Applicant Deadline (all materials must be included for consideration)
- March 5 – Priority Applicant Admission Notification
- March 16 – AWSP State funded internship grant application due
- March 30 – Late Application Deadline (no longer eligible for AWSP intern grant)
- May TBA – Internship Coordination Meeting with District Supervisor and Program Coordinator
- June TBA – Summer Coursework Begins*
The admissions committee will review all files at each deadline. If selected, candidates will receive notification via email on admission decisions.