For summer start (classes begin early June):
Priority Deadline: December 1
Final Deadline: January 15, 8:59pm Pacific Time (application will close at 9:00pm Pacific Time)
Note: For applicants with a BSN degree, we are still accepting applications on a rolling basis until April 30, 2024.
Applications are processed through NursingCAS, a nationwide centralized application service for graduate programs. All official transcripts must be submitted to NursingCAS, not PLU.
Follow the steps below to submit your application. If you have questions, contact the Admission Application Counselor.
- Create your application account via the online application portal (preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Select the following items to start
- Term – The term when you plan to begin the program
- Institution – Pacific Lutheran University
- Program – the nursing program you are apply for
- Complete all required application questions.
- Complete Nursing licensure information and questions
Upload statement of professional goals:
- Please compose a formal essay about your educational and professional goals in nursing as they relate to the MSN program and its outcomes.
- The essay should be two pages, double-spaced, 12pt font, Times New Roman. Please upload your statement in a Microsoft Word or PDF file.
Provide two references via the online application portal.
- This will send an email notification to your recommenders to follow a link and submit their letters of recommendation. References may be academic or professional.
Upload professional resume
Pay the nonrefundable application processing fee.
Official Transcripts (for US and English-Canadian Schools)
- Official transcripts must be sent to NursingCAS from all US and English-Speaking Canadian institutions you listed in the College Attended section of your application. (For international and French Canadian transcripts see the next section.)
- PLU graduates also need to submit PLU transcripts to NursingCAS.
- See NursingCAS instructions for sending official transcripts.
Credential Evaluation (for coursework outside the US)
If you attended a school or earned your degree outside of the United States, you are required to submit your coursework to World Education Services (WES) for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to NursingCAS from the evaluation service along with the official transcripts sent by the schools. Visit World Education Services (WES) website to follow its instructions and arrange for your documents to be delivered to WES.
Sending Transcripts Electronically (for US and English-Canadian transcripts)
- NursingCAS only accepts electronic transcripts from Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse. If your school does not offer either of these services, your transcript must be sent by mail. NursingCAS cannot accept transcripts sent via email.
- When selecting the recipient, choose Educational organization, and then select NursingCAS.
- Include your full NursingCAS ID number when entering the NursingCAS mailing address.
- See NursingCAS instructions for sending electronic transcripts
Sending Transcripts by Mail
Download and print the Transcript Request Form under each school you listed in the College Attended section of your application. Send the Transcript Request Form to your school.
Your registrar should mail your paper transcript to the following address:
P.O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471
GRE scores are no longer required for admission consideration. It is optional to submit the test scores in order to strengthen the application. If you choose to submit GRE scores, request the report be sent to NursingCAS directly from the testing institution. Our institution code for NursingCAS is 2346.
General Guidelines for GRE Scores
- General GRE test (no subject tests)
- Taken within 5 years (testing company policy)
- At or near the 50th percentile on the Quantitative and Verbal sections
- Preferred scores: 150 Verbal Section 150 Quantitative 4.0 Analytical Writing
In addition to the documents listed in the above sections, please also submit the following materials:
- Credential Evaluation – If you attended a school or earned your degree outside of the United States, you are required to submit your coursework to World Education Services (WES) for a course-by-course evaluation report. This report should be sent directly to NursingCAS from the evaluation service along with the official transcripts sent by the schools. You can follow the prompts on NursingCAS application for ordering an electronic WES evaluation, and follow WES instructions to arrange for your documents to be sent to WES directly by your school. See instructions for sending international transcripts and evaluation reports.
- English translation is also required if the documents are in a language other than English. The translation must be provided by a university, government official, organization, or a certified translation service, example: American Translators Association.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Submit official TOEFL score report to NursingCAS. See instructions for sending TOEFL scores.
- For IELTS test, upload a copy of the test report to the NursingCAS application portal.
- This requirement is waived for registered nurses who hold current United States RN licensure.
- See details for the English proficiency listed in our Course Catalog.
In order to be sent a form I-20, admitted international students must:
- Pay the enrollment deposit (if admitted)
- Submit a Passport picture page
- Submit the Declaration of Finance form and Proof of financial support dated within 12 months. English translation is required if the documents are not issued in English.
This is not a part of the online application. You will be invited to complete the background check via CastleBranch if admission is offered. School of Nursing will provide you the instructions at that time.