About Community for Creative Expression
Creativity and Innovation Across Disciplines.
The Community for Creative Expression (CCE) challenges students to explore the meaning of creativity and innovation in our world and promotes creativity as a mechanism of expression, activism, leadership and reflection. CCE collaborates with faculty from a wide variety of disciplines to celebrate and explore creativity and expression in diverse forms, including the visual and performing arts, science, business, education, and more!
Great For Students Who ...
- consider themselves creative and want to learn more about this topic
- love the arts and/or identify as a visual and/or performing artist
- are interested in creativity and innovation across a wide variety of academic disciplines
- love dancing, paint, doodling, music, acting, writing, and building
Program + Learning Outcomes
By participating in Community for Creative Expression, students will be able to:
- Articulate what creativity means in their own terms, as it relates to their chosen academic field of study
- Identify diverse ways to engage in “everyday creativity” in order to cultivate creativity as a lifelong practice or vocation
- Demonstrate critical reflection on personal identity and social justice through creative expression
- Appreciate and engage in diverse forms of creative expression: interpersonal (cultural), intrapersonal (journaling), linguistic (writing, speech), spatial (graphic art, design,), music, kinesthetic (body, dance), logical (pattern making, problem-solving), leadership (transformational, improvisational, collective)
Linked Residence Hall(s)
Below are a few examples of programs that have occurred in Hinderlie in the past! If you have an idea for a wing or hall program, contact your Resident Assistant or Community Advocate to see about planning it!
- Splash of Creativity | Welcoming event to Hinderlie including the creation of a hall art project
- Creativity 101 | A workshop-style discussion about how to find creativity in day-to-day life. Attendants will learn how to be “creative designers” and incorporate creativity into their lives no matter their major, hobbies, or activities
- Where Do Ideas Come From? | Faculty led discussion about the origin of ideas
- Perils and Pitfalls of Creativity | Faculty led discussion to explore the realm of creativity with a new philosophical lens
- The Psychology of Creativity | Faculty led presentation/creative workshop about different types of creativity and how to maximize creative potential.
- Creativity in the Workplace | Discussion about how creativity is used in the workplace and how residents’ creative minds can help in future jobs
- Creativity: How to Manage Your Time, Talent, and Tweets | Faculty presentation on how to stay organized while having a social media presence and being creative all at the same time!
- Creativity in Unexpected Places | Faculty presentation on breaking down the barriers individuals and society construct that bar the creative process, exploring multiple areas of study including, but not limited to: social justice, political science, biology, environmental science, and economics
- The Modern Sketchbook: Cultivating a Lifestyle of Creativity | Workshop investigating how technology and the internet has shaped the definition of a sketchbook, and giving advice about how to stay engaged with archiving inspiration
For more information about this Learning Community option contact:
Sharon Templeton, Community Director for Hinderlie and Hong Halls | firstname.lastname@example.org