Preparing for your move to PLU: A packing checklist
Counting down the days until you're off to campus? Wondering what to pack?
Don’t stress, we’ve got your back! PLU’s Campus Life has a checklist of everything you might need to turn your PLU room into a cozy home away from home. So get ready to pack like a pro and make your transition to life at PLU smooth and exciting!
Stuff to make your room yours.
When it comes to decorating your college room, it’s all about making it feel like your own. Consider what brings you comfort in your current space and bring items that reflect your unique style. Things like cozy blankets, handy storage containers, and a few basic dishes are definitely a good idea. However, keep in mind that not everything on this list is a must-have. While a streaming device or a cool area rug can add extra flair, they’re not essential. Oh, and don’t forget to chat with your roommate about their packing plans too! It’s always good to coordinate and make sure you’re on the same page.
- Bed linens – twin extra long
- Clothes hangers
- Coffee mug, reusable water bottle
- Drinking cups, dishes and silverware
- Poster putty for hanging up decorations (command hooks are great for this!)
- Plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, etc.
- Headphones/earbuds (so your music doesn’t bother your roommate or neighbors)
- Digital music player
- Cell phone and charger
- Desk lamp or bed lamp
- Sewing kit, scissors, safety pins
- Message board for your door
- Area Rug
- lawn/camp chair or blanket for meeting outside
- TV/DVD-Player/streaming device (there is common area TV if you don’t bring one)
- Small, clip on type fan
- Hair dryer/flat iron/curling iron
- Alarm clock
- Small refrigerator (5.0 cubic feet or smaller)
- Crates or stacking containers
- Paper towels, glass cleaner
Stuff to keep it clean.
When you’re at PLU, you’ll have access to shared bathrooms and laundry facilities, so it’s important to come prepared with the essentials to keep yourself and your space fresh and clean. This list includes must-haves like laundry detergent and a laundry basket to keep your clothes in order, as well as items for showering like towels and shower shoes. Don’t forget to pack these essentials to ensure a hygienic and comfortable experience during your time at PLU!
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfecting wipes
- Shower shoes (a must!)
- Towels, washcloths
- Soap/body wash
- Shaving cream and razors
- Shower caddy/container for carrying bathroom items
- Facial tissues
- Laundry basket/bag
- Laundry detergent
- Dish soap, sponge
- Cold medicine/pain relievers – can be picked up at Health Center for free if needed
- First-aid kit/supplies – can be picked up at Health Center for free if needed
Stuff that might be good to have on hand, but not necessary.
Got a special hobby that you’re passionate about? Don’t forget to bring along those supplies when you head to PLU! Whether it’s your art materials, musical instruments, or sports gear, make space for the things that spark joy and keep your hobbies alive. Oh, and speaking of the Pacific Northwest, where rain is no stranger, it’s a smart move to pack a trusty raincoat or umbrella. Stay dry and stylish on those drizzly walks across campus! Additionally, it’s always handy to have a flashlight, extra batteries, and, of course, don’t forget to stock up on your favorite snacks to keep you fueled and ready for anything that comes your way.
- Access to money (checks, debit card, credit card, etc.)
- Key ring
- Sports/recreation equipment (PLU’s Outdoor Recreation Club also has a great rental program for these items)
- Snacks for your room
Stuff for learning.
You’re heading to PLU to learn and achieve your academic goals, and we’ve got you covered with the must-have supplies to set you up for success. Make sure to come prepared with a trusty computer or a flash drive for computer labs. Don’t forget to pack your favorite writing utensils, and of course, a backpack to keep everything organized. With these essential tools in your arsenal, you’ll be ready to conquer any academic challenge that comes your way at PLU!
- Computer/laptop or flash drive for computer labs
- Binders, folders
- Writing utensils
- Backpack/Bag for Books
- Day planner