- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1968
- M.S., Mathematics, University of Illinois, 1965
- B.S., Mathematics, University of Rochester, 1963
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- See "Personal" tab for list of publications and other positions held
Pacific Lutheran University 1981 – present.
- Emeritus Professor, Department of Mathematics, 1998 – present.
- Chair, Department of Mathematics, 1992 – 1994.
- Commentary on ‘Misunderstandings about Q and ‘Cochran’s Q test’ in meta-analysis’, Statistics in Medicine, 2015, 35(4):501-502 · February 20, 2016, DOI: 10.1002/sim.6758 (with E. Kulinskaya).
- An improved test for homogeneity of odds ratios based on Cochran’s Q-statistic. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2015, 15:49; DOI 10.1186/s12874-015-0034-x (with E. Kulinskaya).
- On the moments of Cochran’s Q statistic under the null hypothesis; with application to the meta-analysis of risk difference, Research Synthesis Methods, 2011, 2(4), 254-270, Article first published online: 4 MAR 2012 | DOI: 10.1002/jrsm.54 (with E. Kulinskaya and K. Bjørkestøl).
- Testing for Homogeneity in Meta-Analysis I. The One Parameter Case: Standardized Mean Difference, Biometrics, 67, 203–212, DOI: 1111/j.1541-0420.2010.01442 (with E. Kulinskaya and K. Bjørkestøl).
- Robust weighted one-way ANOVA: Improved approximation and efficiency, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, V. 137, p. 462-472, 2007 (with E. Kulinskaya).
- A Welch-type test for homogeneity of contrasts under heteroscedasticity with application to meta-analysis, Statistics in Medicine, V.23, p. 3655-3670, 2004 (with E. Kulinskaya, E. Knight, and H. Gao).
- On the moments of a Stahel-Donoho robust multivariate estimator, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, V. 70(1), p. 89-106, 2001 (with K. Bjørkestøl).
- Asymptotics of guarded weights of evidence, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, V. 86(1), p. 11-29, 2000 (with E. Kulinskaya).
- Guarded weights of evidence and acceptability profiles based on signs: II. Asymptotic results, Australia & New Zealand J. Statistics, V. 41(4), p. 451-461, 1999 (with E. Kulinskaya and R.G. Staudte).
- Guarded weights of evidence and acceptability profiles based on signs: I. Permutation arguments, Australia & New Zealand J. Statistics, 41 (1), 1999, p. 901-921 (with E. Kulinskaya and R.G. Staudte).
- Fuzzy hypothesis tests and confidence intervals in Information, Statistics and Induction in Science (D.L. Dowe, K.B. Korb and J.J. Oliver, editors), p. 119-128, World Scientific, 1996 (with E. Kulinskaya and R.G. Staudte).
- When is a p-value a good measure of evidence? in Robust Statistics, Data Analysis, and Computer Intensive Methods (H. Rieder, editor) number 109 in Lecture Notes in Statistics, Springer-Verlag, 1996 (with E. Kulinskaya and R.G. Staudte).
- Influence functions of iteratively reweighted least squares estimators, Amer. Stat. Assoc. v.86 (1991) p. 709-716 (with R.G. Staudte).
- Efficiency of reweighted least squares iterates, in Directions in Robust Statistics and Diagnostics Part I (Stahel & Weisberg, eds.) Springer-Verlag, 1991 p. 61-66 (with R.G. Staudte).
- The construction of equileverage designs for multiple linear regression, J. Stat., v. 32, 1990) p. 99-118 (with R.G. Staudte).
- The effects of acentric colony location on the energetics of avian coloniality, Naturalist, v.124 (1984), p.189-204 (with J.F. Wittenberger).
- Maximal functional calculi, Revue Romaine Math. Pures et Appl., v.18 (1973) p.1051-1054 (with K.K. Oberai).
- On the spectrum of an operator, Glasgow Math J.13 (1972) p.98-101 (with K.K. Oberai).
- Variation of local spectra, Math. Analysis and Appl. v.39 (1972) p.324-337 (with K.K. Oberai).
- Nuclear topologies consistent with a duality, Amer. Math. Soc. v.23 (1969) p.565-568.
- A type of spectral decomposition for a class of operators, Math. and Mech. v.18 (1969) p.1059-1066.
- Some Aspects of Spectral Theory on Banach Spaces, Ph.D. dissertation, U. of Illinois, 1968.
- Predicting effectiveness of Bayesian classification systems, Psychometrika31 (1966) p.341-349 (with L.M. Herman).
Other Academic Experience
- University of Washington 9/79 – 6/81
- Louisiana State University 9/68 – 6/73
- University of Hertfordshire, UK 8/02 – 9-02
- La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia 10/95 – 12/97
- University in Agder, Kristiansand, Norway 7/94 – 8/95
- Victoria University of Wellington, N.Z. 1/88 – 6/88
- La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia 8/87 – 12/87
- Zhongshan (Sun Yat-Sen) University, Guangzhou China 9/85 – 7/86
- University of California, Berkeley 9/71 – 8/72
- University of British Colombia, 5/70 – 8/70
- Queens University, (Canada), 5/69 – 8/69