- Editor-Elect of Math Horizons magazine
- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Notre Dame, 2009
- M.S., Mathematics, Colorado State University, 2004
- B.S., Mathematics, Dickinson College, 2002
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Abstract Algebra (Group Theory)
- Algebraic Combinatorics
- 12th Annual Western Washington Community College Student Mathematics Conference , Keynote Presentation, Bellevue College (February 24, 2018)
- Colloquium, Generalized Binomial Coefficients via the Dominance Order on Natural Numbers, Seattle University (October 2014)
- Colloquium, Generalized Binomial Coefficients via the Dominance Order on Natural Numbers, University of Puget Sound (October 2013)
- Dickinson College Math/CS Chats, A Fascinating Connection Between Number Theory and Combinatorics, Dickinson College (October 2013)
- International Linear Algebra Society - 2013 Meeting, Flipping the Technology in Linear Algebra, Providence, Rhode Island (June 2013)
- Teaching Seminar, Picking up the SLAC: Life at a small liberal arts college, University of Notre Dame (April 2013)
- Bland, A., Cramer, Z., de Castro, P., Domini, D., Edgar, T., Johnson, D., Klee, S., Koblitz, J., Sundaresan, R. "Happiness Is Integral But Not Rational." Math Horizons Vol. 25, 2017: 8-11 .
- Edgar, T . "The distribution of the number of parts of m-ary partitions modulo m." Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics Vol. 47, 2017: 1825-1838.
- Edgar, T. and Meyer, N.C. "A Visual Validation of Viète's Verification." The College Mathematics Journal Vol. 48, 2017: 90-96.
- Edgar, T., Domini, D., Johnson, D. "Digital representations of rows of Pascal’s triangle with no entries divisible by a fixed prime power." Pi Mu Epsilon Journal 2017:
- Edgar, T. and Sklar J.. "A Confused Electrician Uses Smith Normal Form." Mathematics Magazine Vol. 89, 2016: 3-13.
- Edgar, T. and Spivey, M.. "Multiplicative Functions Generalized Binomial Coefficients, and Generalized Catalan Numbers." Journal of Integer Sequences Vol. 19, 2016: 1-20.
- Edgar, T. "On the structure of involutions and symmetric spaces of dihedral groups." Note Mat. 34 no. 2 2014: 23–40.
- Edgar, T. "Totienomial coefficients." Integers Vol. 14, 2014: A62.
- Edgar, T. "Cryptographic word search." Math Horizons 2014: 26-27.
- Edgar, T. "Dominance orders, generalized binomial coefficients, and Kummer’s theorem." Math Mag Vol. 87, 2014: no. 2.
- Edgar, T. "Universal reflection subgroups and exponential growth in Coxeter groups." Comm. in Algebra Vol. 41, 2013: no. 4, 1558-1569.
- PNW Mathematical Association of America Distinguished Teaching Award 2019
- Karen Hille Phillips Regency Advancement Award Recipient 2015-2016, Pacific Lutheran University
- NSCI Undergrad Research Program , Pacific Lutheran University, Summer 2014
- Academy of Inquiry Based Learning Small Grant , Academy of Inquiry Based Learning, 2013
- NSF Grant DMS-0846477 through the MAA RUMC program , MAA/NSF, 2013
- American Institute of Mathematics Travel Grant , Palo Alto, CA, Summer 2012
- Regency Advancement Award , Pacific Lutheran University, 2012
- Mathematical Association of America , (2006 - Present)
Tom grew up in Colorado and attended college at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. After two years in a Ph.D. program at Colorado State University, he moved to Indiana to finish his Ph.D. at the University of Notre Dame focusing on Coxeter groups and the combinatorics associated with them. He enjoys playing ice hockey and wishes that PLU still had a squash court.