Summer Internship at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
This opportunity is available to a PLU student interested in cancer research and would provide a $6,000 fellowship from the John F. Gilbertson Foundation to work full-time for 10 weeks during the Summer of 2022 at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in the lab of Dr. Mark Headley.
- 18 years of age or older
- PLU student enrolled full-time for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023
- Entering junior or senior year Fall 2022
- Pursuing a degree in biology, chemistry, or a related field
- A minimum of two wet lab courses with emphasis in pipetting, sterile technique, data interpretation, and good lab notebook practices
This internship program seeks to engage scientific curiosity and promote biomedical research careers among PLU undergraduates and is committed to expanding diversity among students who enter STEM fields.
The intern will receive a total of $6,000 for participating in the program from Pacific Lutheran University. The intern is responsible for their housing, meals, and local transportation costs. The intern will receive $2,000 at the start of the internship, $2,000 after week 5, and the final $2,000 at the conclusion of the internship experience and upon receipt by PLU’s Director for Career, Learning and Engagement of a short reflection report of the internship experience.
How to Apply:
The application consists of:
- A one-page Statement of Research Interests and Career Goals including the following:
- What are your interests and career goals? Why? What has led you to these interests and goals? Be sure to describe your interests in the area of cancer research.
- How will participating in this internship experience advance your academic and career goals? What are you hoping to learn or gain from participating in research at the FHCRC? Please include a description of the skills, knowledge, and experience you hope to develop/gain.
- A short statement (1-2 paragraphs) articulating your commitment and contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in your education and as you pursue your career goals and how you will contribute to FHCRC’s diversity and antiracism efforts.
- Unofficial transcript
- Resume (one page)
- Names and contact information for 2-3 references (one of whom must be a PLU Natural Sciences faculty member)
Application Due Date: Friday, March 25th, 2022 at 5 pm
PLU Evaluation Team:
- Dean of Natural Sciences (currently Ann Auman) or designee
- Director for Career, Learning and Engagement (currently Kevin Andrew) or designee
- Director of Diversity Center (currently Nicole Juliano) or designee