Department of Residential Life
Making PLU Your Home
This list is full of suggested things to bring. Not everything on this list is a necessary item. Think about how you live now, and how much you really need to feel at home. Remember that the room you are assigned on campus may be smaller than your room at home, and not every item may fit. Many of the larger items may be things that you would like to share with your roommate. When you receive your roommate assignment, contact your new partner and see if there are things the two of you can bring to share. Remember to check the amenities list on the Residence Hall page for a list of things that are provided by PLU. Also, consider purchasing some items second-hand. There are great deals to be found on Craigslist, at yard sales and local second-hand stores. It is great for your wallet and your world!
- Bed linens – twin extra long
- Clothes hangers
- Coffee mug, reusable water bottle
- Drinking cups, dishes and silverware for snacks
- Poster putty for hanging up decorations
- Plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, etc.
- Headphones/ear buds (so your music doesn’t bother your roommate or neighbors)
- Digital music player
- Cell phone and charger
- Desk lamp or bed lamp
- TV/DVD-Player/streaming device (there is common area TV if you don’t bring one)
- Hair dryer
- Alarm clock
- Small refrigerator (5.0 cubic feet or smaller)
- Crates or stacking containers
- Paper towels, glass cleaner
- Sewing kit, scissors, safety pins
- Message board for your door
- Area Rug
Keep It Clean
Keep in mind that you’ll be sharing your bathroom and laundry facilities with other students.
- Shower shoes
- Towels, washcloths
- Shaving cream and razors
- Small bucket for carrying shower things
- Facial tissues
- Laundry basket/bag
- Laundry detergent
- Roll of quarters (Foss Hall is the only hall that still uses quarters only. All other halls are set up to use your Lutecard–just load the card, swipe, and wash your clothes!)
- Cold medicine/pain relievers
- First-aid kit
Stuff for School
You can get this stuff once you’re on campus, but it can sometimes be cheaper to buy it during the back-to-school sales of off-campus stores.
- Computer/laptop or memory stick for computer labs
- Binders, folders
- Writing utensils
- Backpack/Bag for Books
- Day planner
Good Things to Have
Think about your daily activities and hobbies and bring what you need with you.
- Access to money (i.e. bank account, bank card, credit card, etc.)
- Key ring
- Sports/recreation equipment (PLU’s Outdoor Recreation Club also has a great rental program for these items)
- Snacks for your room
Don’t Bring It
Listed here are a few items that you may not have in your residence hall room.
- Halogen bulbs and/or lamps
- Hotplates, skillets, toaster ovens
- Air conditioners
- Extension cords
- Pets, waterbeds, nail picture hangers
Irons, ironing boards and toasters may be stored in student rooms but must be used in the designated common area locations. If you are in doubt about an item you would like to bring, call the Residential Life Office at 253-535-7200.