Learning Community: Upper Division Learning Commmunity
Who Lives Here: New Transfer Students, Returning Students
Location: Upper Campus
Bathroom Facilities: Male-identifying and Female-identifying designated facilities
Wing Configurations: Mixed Wings
Welcome to Harstad Hall
Harstad Hall is the most historic building on campus, named after Bjug Harstad, PLU’s founder and first president.
Harstad is home to the Upper Division Learning Community.
Harstad Hall is located on upper campus. Conveniently located between the library, University Center and Garfield Street, Harstad’s location allows students to easily access upper and lower campus.
Located in the basement of the building is the Outdoor Rec Bike Co-op as well as the Campus Safety Office. Campus Safety is open 24/7 year round and is accessible via an external entrance on the North side of the building.
Upper Division Eligibility
Students interested in living in an Upper Division Learning Community must be either 20 years old or have achieved 60 credits before September 1 (for the full academic year) or February 1 (for Spring semester).
Harstad Hall residents are eligible to choose a reduced Meal Plan E.
Students who are 21 or older may have alcohol in their room under certain guidelines. Please refer to the Harstad Hall Alcohol Policy for more information.
- WiFi throughout the building
- Centralized laundry room on the ground floor
- A fireplace located in the 4th floor lounge
- Kitchens located throughout the building, convenient with stove/oven, communal refrigerator, and microwave
- Front desk (limited operating hours)
- Mail services will deliver envelopes and packages to the hall front desk for convenient pick up
- Students may check out cleaning (mops, vacuums, brooms) and cooking (pots/pans) supplies as needed
- 5 floors with elevator and stair access
- Spacious lounges with community TV’s
- Dedicated study lounge with whiteboards for studying
Rooms will be set up in a single-occupancy configuration and come furnished with the following furniture
- One twin-XL mattresses and bedframes
- Option to loft bed
- Two desks with chairs
- Two built in or moveable bookshelves
- Two dressers
- Two closets
- One trash and one recycle bins
Rooms set for double occupancy will have the same furniture listed above with an additional set of each item, excluding beds.
Harstad Hall is unique in having a variety of different size and layout room styles throughout the hall. Some rooms boast high ceilings, while others have large closet and floor space. Each room has it’s own unique twist!
The majority of the rooms are designed for double-occupancy and are significantly larger than any other rooms located on campus.
There are also a handful of designed single rooms, designed for a single student to live in. Designed singles are significantly smaller in size than double-occupancy rooms but are still very spacious.
There is one unit designed for a single with private bathroom. This room is reserved for students who apply through the Accessibility and Accommodation application.