About Wellness House
A Community for Well Beings.
The Wellness House (in Tingelstad) is a community of students who are interested in engaging in conversations and activities that promote and sustain healthy lifestyles. This includes transitioning to college in a way that develops healthy habits around mindfulness, diet, exercise, substance use, time management, and mental health. The Wellness House fosters an environment of holistic wellness, encourages residents to learn more about wellness, and supports residents in achieving their wellness goals.
Great For Residents Who ...
- enjoy health and fitness
- want to learn more about healthy lifestyle(s) of a college student
- are considering a career in a health/fitness related field
- want to learn more about holistic wellness and thriving
- are willing to commit time to participating in community health and wellness activities
Program + Learning Outcomes
By participating in the Wellness House, residents will:
- engage in health and wellness activities that support their own reflection and positive habit development
- use tools like the wellness wheel to explore what holistic wellness means to them personally and to their community (i.e. physical, mental, spiritual, financial wellness etc).
- build skills in bringing balance to their wellness wheel in order to create sustainable healthy habits
- be able to navigate resources on campus and in the surrounding community to support their own holistic wellness
First-year residents will be enrolled in a linked First Year Experience Program (FYEP) course on the topic of wellness. A certain number of class seats will be saved for commuter students to opt into this learning community. Fall 2018 linked course options will be determined shortly.
Below are a few examples of residential programs that have occurred on the topic of wellness in the past! If you have an idea for a wing or hall program, contact your Resident Assistant to see about planning it!
- Friday faculty lunches on topics related to holistic wellness, including physical wellness, nutrition, fitness, stress management and mental health, mindfulness, and more!
- Mount Rainier hike
- Participation in campus events such as Jingle 5K, Relay for Life, Color Run
- Attending Group X classes together
- Healthy Eating in the Kitchen Cooking Series
- Service Projects (such as Emergency Food Network and L’Arche Farms volunteering)