Student Employment FAQ

Who is eligible to work a student employment position on campus?

Any undergraduate student who is taking at least 6 credits, or graduate student taking at least 4 credits, and is at least 18 years old.

What is the minimum wage?

The current minimum wage is $16.28. Minimum wage increases will be calculated annually by L&I using a formula tied to the rate of inflation.

What is work study?

Students awarded work study have satisfied requirements through their FAFSA filing that makes them eligible for either Federal or State Work Study. This gives a student the opportunity to earn money that can be put toward their living expenses or their tuition that is actually paid out of either Federal or State funds. One of the benefits of any money earned through work study is that it is not considered as an income resource on the next year’s FAFSA.

How do I know if I have work study (either Federal or State)?

You will receive notice on the Financial Aid Award that you have been awarded Federal or State Work Study. If you are not a permanent Washington State resident, you will not be eligible for State Work Study. If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Can non-work study students still get jobs on campus?

Yes, any enrolled PLU student is eligible to apply for on-campus jobs. These on-campus jobs are positions paid by the hiring PLU department, not from Federal or State Funds. To find these jobs students may login to their student account on the Opportunities Board.

What is the best time to start looking for a job?

Students should start looking for a job as close to the start of the semester as possible. To search for employment opportunities, students may login to their student account on the Opportunities Board. Continue to check the Opportunities Board regularly for new job and internship postings throughout the year.

How do I apply for a job?

Students can login to their student account on the Opportunities Board to both search for and apply for on-campus jobs. A few days after submitting your application, contact the hiring supervisor via phone or email to make sure they know you are serious about the position for which you applied. If you are interested in a state work study job, contact the listed hiring supervisor. Make sure to be very specific about the position you are applying for and ask the hiring supervisor to explain the interviewing and hiring procedures. As with on-campus jobs, it’s a good idea to check in with the hiring supervisor after a few days to make sure they know you are serious about the state work study position for which you are applying. Additionally, for off-campus state work study jobs make sure to have a resume ready to present to the hiring supervisor.

What jobs do you apply for?

Students decide which jobs to apply for through the Opportunities Board. You may want to select jobs to apply for based on your individual personality traits, work experience, physical/mental aptitudes/skills, prior education and interests. Keep in mind some areas present more employment opportunities. For example, Dining Services has many positions available due to the size and required staff to keep operating efficiently. However, you will not find that volume of positions in the smaller departments on campus.

How do I know which positions are available?

Students can login to their student account on the Opportunities Board and select the “Jobs/Internships Search” menu. Select “PLU Positions” from the drop-down menu to see all available on-campus jobs. You may select “State Work Study Positions” to view all available state work study jobs.

What do I do if I am offered a job? What documents do I need to complete my hire paperwork?

If you are offered an on-campus position, your first stop is the Student Employment Office in the Nesvig Alumni Center. You need to visit the Student Employment Office to process your mandatory hiring paperwork. This paperwork must be done before your first day of work. You will be required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 “Employment Eligibility Verification” form and a W-4 form before you begin working.  Original documentation, such as a social security card, passport or certified copy of a birth certificate, is required to complete this paperwork.  Please bring your original documents. If you are offered a state work study position, you must pick up your State Work Study Referral Agreement Form in the Student Employment Office. The State Work Study Referral Agreement Form must be completed by your employer and returned to the Student Employment Office prior to your first day of employment.

How many hours can I work each week?

While school is in session, a student can only work up to 19 hours a week total between all on campus positions (the week starts on Saturday and ends on Friday). In most cases, students work an average of 10-15 hours a week while taking classes.

During holidays and school breaks (as long as the student is NOT enrolled in any classes) students are allowed to work up to 40 hours a week.

During summer break students can work up to 40 hours a week regardless of whether or not they are enrolled in classes.

What happens if I choose not to use my work study award?

Nothing happens other than a resource to earn money for tuition or expenses was not taken advantage of. A work-study position can help you build employment experience, employer references for the future and in some cases (state work study) permanent placement upon graduation. If you do not plan on using your work study award, you may decide to decline it on your financial aid award in Banner Self-Service under the Financial Aid Services tab. If you have questions about this, please contact Student Financial Services.

Must I earn my entire work-study award?

No. You may earn some, all or none of your award while you are eligible to work. If you do not earn your entire award during this period, you may not access the remaining amount.

How do I get paid?

Wages are paid directly to you whether it is PLU or an off-campus employer.  All on-campus student workers are PLU employees and are paid bi-monthly by the Payroll Office. If you have an off-campus position, your pay periods are set by your employer. Direct Deposit is the preferred method of payment at PLU – the money is in your account on the morning of payday and you receive an email with your pay advice attached. If you receive an actual check, payroll will mail it to your permanent address on the pay dates.

When will I receive my W-2?

The W-2 Form is an official record of the total amount of wages paid to you during a calendar year.  It also shows federal, state, and FICA (Medicare and Social Security) taxes withheld.  W-2 statements are mailed to each employee by January 31 of the year following the end of the tax year.  They are mailed to the permanent address of each employee.  It is important that the permanent address on record with PLU is correct.  Employees are also able to print the W-2 themselves from Banner Web once they’ve been processed.

Do I have to stop working if I reach my work-study award amount and it’s not the end of the year yet (for on-campus jobs)?

No; your work-study job will be switched to a non-work study position and you can continue working.

How do I record my hours worked so I’m paid correctly?

For most hourly jobs, PLU uses online time sheets available through Banner Web. The instructions are available on the Payroll Office web site under Student Payroll.

If you work for campus restaurants and hospitality you will use paper timesheets provided by your supervisor. If you are working in an off campus State Work Study position you will require a different timesheet from the off campus employer.

If you are unsure, you should check with your supervisor.

Is Direct Deposit available for my pay instead of a check?

Yes, direct deposit is available and encouraged.  The enrollment form is available on the Payroll Office web site and in the Payroll Office. Your money will be in your account on the morning of payday when your bank opens and an email will be sent to you with your pay advice (also called earnings statement or check stub) attached.

Can I continue to work on campus if I withdraw from classes?

No; once you withdraw, you are no longer a student.

If I have work study, does that mean that the money I earn is not taxable?

No; all earnings from PLU are taxable. The advantage is on the next year’s FAFSA, as explained under What is Work Study?

Why were FICA taxes not withheld from my paycheck?

There is a special provision called the Student FICA Exemption whereby students who carry at least half the credits of a full time student who work on the same campus where they go to school do not have FICA taxes (Medicare and Social Security) deducted from their pay.  This is in effect during the academic year.  At PLU, for an undergraduate, it’s 6 credits and for a graduate student, it’s 4 credits.  (Full time is 12 credits for an undergraduate student and 8 credits for a graduate student.)