Faculty Executive Committee (FEC)
The Faculty Executive Committee shall consist of the chair, vice-chair, and faculty secretary, the elected representative to the Board of Regents, and the chairs of the faculty standing committees.
Advisory members shall consist of the president and the provost. Consistent with the Bylaws, Article IV, Section 4.B.7-8, advisory members shall have the same rights and privileges as any other member of the committee except the right to make motions and to vote.
The Faculty Executive Committee shall perform the following duties:
- To coordinate the work of standing committees and to assist the chair of the faculty in preparing agendas for meetings of the Faculty Assembly.
- To oversee the implementation of faculty legislation.
- To review and make recommendations to the faculty regarding all proposals for the establishment of ad hoc faculty committees and other ad hoc committees involving faculty membership and which transcend division or school lines, including joint faculty-student or faculty-administration committees. Such recommendations may include conditions regarding duration and membership as the executive committee finds appropriate.
- To consider and to refer to appropriate faculty organs such matters of faculty interest and importance as it deems proper.
- To appoint faculty to specified positions on university standing committees.
Chair of Faculty – Neal Yakelis
Vice Chair of Faculty – Amy Young
Secretary of Faculty – Rick Barot
Faculty Representative to the Board of Regents – James Brown
Chairs of Faculty Standing Committees
President – Allan Belton
Provost – Joanna Gregson
Cases involving the dismissal of a faculty member may be brought before the Formal Dismissal Hearing Committee.
The procedure for the election of faculty to the Formal Dismissal Hearing Committee is found in the Faculty Bylaws, Article VI, Section 2.E.1:
- The Formal Dismissal Hearing Committee shall consist of five members of the permanent faculty who have had at least four years of service at Pacific Lutheran University. They shall be elected as follows: Each September, the Governance Committee shall nominate a panel of fifteen. From these nominees the elected faculty members of Faculty Executive Committee shall elect a panel of ten and the results of this election shall be reported to the faculty. The five with the highest number of votes shall constitute the Formal Dismissal Hearing Committee. The remaining five shall serve as alternates in case of vacancies or if in the opinion of the committee any of its members should be disqualified in a particular case. Such alternates shall be chosen in order of highest votes received in the election. These ten are elected to a term of one calendar year beginning on October 15 and ending on October 14 of the following year. Cases still in process at the end of the stipulated calendar year will be completed by the committee assigned to that case.
Members of FDHC: (List updated 8/14/23)
Michelle Ceynar, Psychology
Ron Gerhardstein, Music
Rona Kaufman, English
Rebekah Mergenthal, History
Svend Rønning, Music
Alternate #1: Troy Storfjell, Native American & Indigenous Studies
Alternate #2: Priscilla St. Clair, Economics
Alternate #3: Wendy Shore, Psychology
Alternate #4: Jeff Clapp, Theatre
Alternate #5: Rebecca Wilkin, Languages & Literatures
STUDENT LIFE AWARDS COMMITTEE
TITLE IX COMMITTEE
TBD (seat expires 2025)
UNIVERSITY DIVERSITY COMMITTEE
Marnie Ritchie, Communication, Media and Design Arts (seat expires 2024)
UNIVERSITY SAFETY COMMITTEE
Spencer Ebbinga, Communication, Media and Design Arts (seat expires 2024)
Fall 2023 FEC meetings
Virtual + location
Friday, September 8, 2023, 3:30-5:00 pm
Friday, October 6, 2023, 3:30-5:00 pm
Friday, November 3, 2023, 3:30-5:00 pm
Friday, December 1, 2023, 3:30-5:00 pm