Professor of Mathematics
- Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1986
- M.A., Mathematics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1981
- B.S., Physics and Mathematics, Pomona College, 1980
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Combinatorial Matrix Theory
- Graph Theory
- Optimization and Finance
- American Mathematical Society’s Spring Western Sectional Meeting , Sign and Ray Patterns that Allow K-potence, Pullman, WA (April, 2017)
- 16th ILAS Meeting, Graphs, patterns and powers – from nonnegative matrices to nonpowerful ray patterns, Minisymposium on Nonnegative Matrices, Pisa, Italy (June, 2010)
- MAA Pacific Northwest Section Meeting, Inverses for matrices that do not have inverses, Session on Pedagogical Gems, Seattle, WA (April, 2010)
- Joint Math Meeting, Inverses for matrices that do not have inverses, MAA Session on Innovative and Effective Ways to Teach Linear Algebra, San Francisco, CA (January, 2010)
- MAA Math Fest, Math Placement at a Selective Liberal Arts University, Short Course on Math Placement, Portland, OR (August, 2009)
- MAA Math Fest, Teach ill-conditioning in a single lecture!, Special Session on Teaching Numerical Analysis, Portland, OR (August, 2009)
- Catral, M., Lebtahi, L. Stuart, J., Thome, N.. "Matrices A such that As+1R = RA⁎ with Rk = I." Linear Algebra and its Applications Vol. 552, 2018: 85-104.
- "Building generalized inverses of matrices using only row and column operations." International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology Vol. iFirst, 2010: 1–12.
- Q. Li, B. Liu and J. Stuart. "Bounds on the k th generalized base of a primitive sign pattern matrix." Linear and Multilinear Algebra Vol. 58, 2010: 355–366.
- J. Stuart and J. Weaver. "Voting Matrices and Tie Breaking." International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics Vol. 54 (No. 3), 2009: 437–470.
- "The eavesdropping number." Czech Journal of Mathematics Vol. 59 (134), 2009: 623–636.
- B. Finnie, L. Gibson, J. Stuart and F. Zabriski. "Balancing environmental and industry Sustainability: a case study of the U.S. gold mining industry." J. Environmental Management Vol. 90, 2009: 3690-3699.
- 2004 - K.T. Tang Excellence in Research Award, Pacific Lutheran University
- 2001 - Distinguished Teaching Award, Mississippi-Louisiana Section of the Mathematical Association of America
- 2000 - University Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award (University of Southern Mississippi)
- 1980 - National Science Foundation Fellowship Honorable Mention
- 1980 - Election to Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, Pomona College
Professor Jeff Stuart teaches mathematics and statistics for the Mathematics Department. He developed and directs the Department’s undergraduate major in financial mathematics. He helped develop the new CFA-oriented Masters in Finance degree program in the PLU School of Business, and he teaches several courses for the program. In addition to teaching a variety of courses, he has supervised over forty senior theses and masters projects in pure and applied mathematics, statistics and finance.
Professor Stuart obtained bachelors degrees in mathematics and physics from Pomona College. Subsequently, he earned an M.S. and a Ph.D. in mathematics from the real UW — the University of Wisconsin at Madison. His mathematics research interests lie at the intersection of graph theory, matrix theory and combinatorics. In addition, he has published work in optimization, statistics and finance. His finance interests include financial asset valuation modeling and the unintended consequences of management and regulatory policy. He has authored more than seventy research and expository articles, and he has given more than 100 seminar and conference presentations.
Prior to arriving at PLU in 2001, Professor Stuart spent 14 years at the University of Southern Mississippi, where he was a tenured full professor, teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses in mathematics and statistics. In his not-so-copious spare time, Professor Stuart sings chamber music, cooks Mediterranean food, hikes, and herds cats.
- Sings chamber music
- Cooks Mediterranean food
- Herding cats