Women's and Gender Studies Major
Women’s and Gender Studies at PLU is a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary major. Conferral of a baccalaureate degree with a major in Women’s and Gender Studies requires completion of a major or minor from any other program in the university. Students may apply up to three courses (12 semester hours) from all other majors and minors to their Women’s and Gender Studies major.
36 semester hours, including:
- WMGS 201: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies (offered every fall and spring semester)
- WMGS 301: Feminist and Gender Theories (offered every fall semester)
- WMGS 499: Women’s and Gender Studies Senior Capstone (offered every spring semester)
- 24 additional semester hours:
- must be selected from list of WMGS-approved courses;
- must be selected from at least four disciplines;
- must be selected from at least two different divisions or schools;
- only one course may be at the 100-level; and
- at least four of these courses must be at 300 or 400-level.
- Courses from any discipline that are not on the approved list, for which at least 60% of the assignments center on women, feminism, gender, and/or sexuality, may also count for the WMGS major. This allows the integration of Women’s and Gender Studies perspectives into courses that are not explicitly or entirely structured around those perspectives. Students should consult the Women’s and Gender Studies chair about this option before the course begins (when possible) and provide syllabi and assignments to the Women’s and Gender Studies Executive Committee for approval upon completion of the course.