HOW TO APPLY
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION TIMELINE
|Application deadline||January 31|
|Interview notification||Mid-February through end of April
|Interview date||To be arranged|
|Non-refundable enrollment deposit due||Within three weeks of acceptance date|
|Classes begin||Early September|
Beginning September 1, 2017, applications will be processed through GradCAS, a nationwide centralized application service for graduate programs. All official transcripts must be submitted to GradCAS, not PLU.
STEP ONE: Apply online via GradCAS
- Create your application account via the online application portal (preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Select the following items to start
- Term – The term when you plan to begin the program
- Institution – Pacific Lutheran University
- Program – Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Complete all required application questions.
- Provide two references via the online application portal. This will send an email notification to your recommenders to follow a link and submit their letters of recommendation. Academic recommendations are encouraged.
- Upload resume: Includes employment history; significant academic, professional, and community achievements; honors and awards. Upload your resume via the online application portal.
- Upload personal statement: Upload your essay via the online application portal. The statement should be no longer than a total of 5 double-spaced pages. You should address the following questions:
- What significant cultural experiences have most influenced your present development and your desire to be a couple and family therapist?
- What are your professional career goals after completing your degree?
- What are your strengths that will help you achieve your professional goals?
- What do you consider to be areas for personal growth that may need the most attention during your training as a therapist at PLU?
- Pay the nonrefundable $55 application fee.
Note: If you need to submit additional documents after submitting the online application, you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP TWO: Submit official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended
- Official transcripts are required to be mailed directly to GradCAS by the issuing institution’s registrar’s office to the address below:
GradCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9217
Watertown, MA 02471
- Have the registrar include the Transcript Request Form which you can download from the Academic History section on your application.
- PLU graduates do not need to send their PLU transcripts unless you apply for another school as well.
- Electronical transcripts are only accepted from Credentials Solutions and Parchment. If your school does not offer either of these services, your transcript must be sent by mail to GradCAS at the address above.
Note: International transcripts please also see the “Additional Materials for International Applicants” section below.
STEP THREE: Interview (if invited): Once the applications are reviewed, candidates advancing to the next stage of review will be invited to an interview appointment.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
In addition to the documents listed in the above sections, please also submit the following materials:
- International transcripts Evaluation – Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be evaluated by one of the following two agencies for course-by-course conversion and an overall GPA calculation. Evaluation report along with the certified copy of your transcripts must be mailed directly to GradCAS by the evaluation agency.
- English translation is also required if the documents are in a language other than English. Translation must be provided by recognized translation services.
- Proof of English proficiency
- IELTS or TOEFL Minimum TOEFL-iBT score of 80 or minimum IELTS score of 6.5.
- TOFEL scores must be mailed to PLU directly from the testing institution. The institution code for PLU is 4597.
- We can accept a copy of an IELTS score report as we can verify with the testing agency.
In order to be sent a form I-20, admitted international students must:
- Pay the enrollment deposit
- Submit a Passport picture page
- Submit the Declaration of Finance form and Proof of financial support dated within 12 months.
ONLINE APPLICATION TECHNICAL SUPPORT
If you or your recommenders have any questions or technical problems with the online application portal and recommendation process, status, navigation, missing credentials, etc., please contact GradCAS Customer Service at: 857-304-2042 / email@example.com