How To Apply
Deadline and application review timeline:
|Application deadline||January 31|
|Interview notification||Mid-February through end of April
|Interview date||To be arranged|
|Non-refundable enrollment deposit due||Within three weeks of acceptance date|
|Classes begin||Early September|
Step one – create your application portal account and enter your letter of recommendation details
Create your application portal account, enter in your letter of recommendation details, and pay the nonrefundable $55 application fee via our application portal.
In order to create your account, you must enter two references via the online application portal. This will send an email notification to your recommenders to follow a link and submit their letters of recommendation. Academic recommendations are encouraged.
Step two – submit all required supporting items below:
Official transcripts: Have official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended sent to Graduate Studies (PLU graduates do not need to send their PLU transcripts). We accept and prefer electronic delivery of official transcripts. Have them sent to email@example.com. If the college or university does not offer electronic delivery, please have them mail your transcripts to:
Graduate Programs and Continuing Education
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue S
Tacoma, WA 98447
Students applying with degrees from institutions outside the US must submit a course-by-course evaluation for US degree equivalency by a PLU approved evaluation service. Two approved providers are Foreign Credential Translation and Evaluation Services (FIS) and World Education Services (WES).
Resume: Upload your resume via the online application portal that includes your employment history; significant academic, professional, and community achievements; honors and awards. You can also submit this later via the application portal by logging in and clicking on the “checklist” button.
Comprehensive career statement: Upload a career statement via the online application portal. You can also submit this later via the application portal by logging in and clicking on the “checklist” button. The statement should be no longer than a total of 5 double -spaced pages. Your statement should address the following questions:
- What significant cultural experiences have most influenced your present development and your desire to be a couple and family therapist?
- What are your professional career goals after completing your degree?
- What are your strengths that will help you achieve your professional goals?
- What do you consider to be areas for personal growth that may need the most attention during your training as a therapist at PLU?
Step three – check what items have been received and what is missing via the application portal.
The portal will indicate when your application is complete. Your admission decision will be sent via email, not via the portal.
Interview (if invited): Once the applications are reviewed, candidates advancing to the next stage of review will be invited to an interview appointment.
In addition to the above listed application requirements, international students must provide:
- IELTS or TOEFL scores. Minimum TOEFL-iBT score of 80 or minimum IELTS score of 6.5. We can accept a copy of an IELTS score report, but TOFEL scores must be mailed to PLU directly from the testing institution.
- Passport picture page
In order to be sent a form I-20, admitted international students must:
- Pay the enrollment deposit
- Submit the Declaration of Finance form and Proof of financial support