Gordon West, PhD, MHA, BSN, RN, FACHE, AMB-BC
- BSN, McMurry University Abilene, TX
- MHA, Baylor University Fort Sam Houston, TX
- PhD, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Policy, Research, Evidence Based Practice, Clinicals, Skills labs
- Infection Control, health promotion, social determinants of health
- West G.F., Resendiz M., Lustik M.B., Nahid, M.A. (2019). Bacterial Contamination of Military and Civilian Uniforms in an Emergency Department. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 45(2), 169-177, doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2018.10.005
- West, G.F., Lustik, M.B., Hopkinson, S.G. (2019). Usability and Satisfaction of Vocera Wireless Communication. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 37 (4), 229-234, doi: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000509
- Resendiz, M., Lustik, M.B., Conkright, W.R., West, G.F. (2019). Standing Desks for Sedentary Occupations Assessing Changes in Satisfaction and Health Outcomes after Six Months of Use. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 63 (3), 347-353, doi: 10.3233/WOR-192940
- Resendiz, M., Horseman, T.S., Lustik, M.B., Nahid, M.A., West, G.F. (2019). Comparative Effectiveness of Rapid Cycle Ultraviolet Decontamination to Chemical Decontamination on High Touch Communication Devices. American Journal of Infection Control, 47 (99), 1135-1139 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2019.02.022
- Resendiz, M., Horseman, T.S., Hover, A.J., Bradley, D.F., Lustik, M.B., West, G.F. (2020). Assessment of Surgical Instrument Bioburden After Steam Sterilization: A Pilot Study. American Journal of Infection Control, 48 (2), 219-221, doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2019.08.018.
- Torres, L., Nelson, F., West, G. (2020). Exploring the Effects of a Nurse-Initiated Diary Intervention on Post–Critical Care Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. American Journal of Nursing, 120(5), 24-33, doi: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000662804.81454.66.
- Resendiz M, Blanchard DM, Lustik MB, Horseman TS, West GF. Effect of SARs-CoV-2 pandemic on infection prevention behaviors and bacterial burden of high touch surfaces in a medical/surgical setting. Sci Rep. 2022 Apr 1;12(1):5561. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-09548-4. PMID: 35365725; PMCID: PMC8973674.
- Blanchard DM, Resendiz M, Lustik MB, West GF. Limited impact of an ultraviolet disinfection intervention on hygienic behaviors of nursing staff in a military hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2022 Jun;43(6):797-799. doi: 10.1017/ice.2021.118. Epub 2021 Apr 12. PMID: 33843525.
- TriService Nursing Research Program Dissemination Course, Effectiveness of Rapid Cycle Ultraviolet Disinfection for Hospital Communication, San Diego, C A (2019)
- TriService Nursing Research Program Dissemination , Bacterial contamination of military and civilian uniforms in an emergency department , San Diego, CA (2019)
- TriService Nursing Research Program Dissemination Course, Bioburden Assessment of Surgical Instrument Cleanliness Post-Sterilization: A Pilot Study , San Diego, CA (2019)
- TriService Nursing Research Program Dissemination Course, Comparing Nurse Staffing Perception to Workload Metrics within Tripler Army Medical Center , San Diego, CA (2019)
- TriService Nursing Research Program Dissemination Course, Ultraviolet Disinfection in the Clinical Environment, San Diego, CA (2019)
- TriService Nursing Research Program Dissemination Course, Patient privacy curtains in relationship to hand hygiene: Exploring behaviors and bacteria, San Diego, CA (2019)
- Juanita Warman Nursing Excellence Conference, Dirty little secrets: High touch surfaces within the healthcare environment , Tacoma, WA (2020)
- Virtual AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo, Do contaminated instruments pose a risk to clean instruments in a set? , Anahelm, CA (2020)
- Virtual Madigan Research Day, Interim Results: Ultraviolet Disinfection in the Clinical Environment, Tacoma, WA (2020)
- 2019: Army Nurse Corps Association: Annual Nursing Research Award
- 2019: Defense Health Agency: Annual Excellence in Nursing Award
I am a nurse scientist with a focus of research on infection control topics. I joined the Lute team in September of 2022 and enjoy teaching various courses across the BSN, MSN, and DNP curriculum.