Phi Alpha Theta History Honors Society
Phi Alpha Theta (ΦΑΘ) is an American honor society for undergraduate and graduate students and professors of history. The society has over 350,000 members, with about 9,500 new members joining each year through 860 local chapters. We are a professional society whose mission is to promote the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. We seek to bring students and teachers together for intellectual and social exchanges, which promote and assist historical research and publication by our members in a variety of ways.
All members of the honor society are inducted through the local Phi Alpha Theta chapter at their respective college or university. Individual memberships sent directly to the National Office are not acceptable and will be returned.
Our one-time initiation fee of $50.00 per student is payable at the time of initiation and can be paid by check (made payable to Phi Alpha Theta) or in cash submitted directly to the Faculty Advisor. This fee includes a membership certificate and four issues of our journal, The Historian. Membership in Phi Alpha Theta is a lifetime membership.
Each chapter, however, may levy whatever dues or fees it deems necessary to promote its own local activities. Thereafter, there are no annual dues or fees. Members who wish to continue supporting the honor society may do so by subscribing to The Historian and/or to our newsletter.
- Minimum of 12 credit hours in History (a maximum of 3 credit hours of online, transfer, or AP credits may be counted).
- Minimum GPA of 3.1 in History and a GPA of 3.0 or better overall.
- Membership is not limited to History majors.
If you are interested in joining PAT or would like more information, please contact one of our PAT faculty advisors, Dr Gina Hames or Dr. Mike Halvorson. Our PAT student membership contacts for the 2021-2022 academic year are Nicole Query and Jenna Labyak.
Fall 2021 Events
- On Sept. 25, 2021, PAT joined History majors & friends on a hike near Longmire at Mt. Rainier.
- On Nov. 3, 2021, PAT members are encouraged to attend the 2021 Benson Summer Research Fellow presentations from 3:00pm to 4:00pm in Xavier 250. (All are welcome!)
Click here to see the membership application form. (Contact Gina Hames with any questions.)