Distinguished teachers, talented students, and supportive public: these are the people who make the Department of Music at PLU a nationally recognized center for musical learning, serving, and sharing.
The Mary Baker Russell Music Center is our home. It features spaces for performing, teaching, and rehearsing; a music library; an outdoor amphitheater; and the acoustically impressive Lagerquist Concert Hall, home to the Gottfried and Mary Fuchs Organ.
Music Spotlight Day
- Join us on Monday, October 11, beginning at 9:15 am PDT. This event will offer a chance to connect with faculty and students, observe a class, observe rehearsals, and get your general music questions answered. You are able to choose which sessions you want to attend (all, or just one, is perfectly fine!).
- 9:15am, Check-In
- 9:30-10:30, Campus Tour
- 10:30-11:15, Admission Presentation
- 11:30-12:15, Lunch in the University Commons
- MUSIC SPOTLIGHT DAY: Experience PLU’s Outstanding Music Program in action!
- 12:30-1:30pm, Visit a Class—Music Theory or Music in Historical Context
- 1:45-2:15, Music Information Session
- 2:15-3:00, Observe the Jazz Ensemble rehearsal, or take a break and explore the campus further
- 3:15-3:45, Q&A with current PLU music students
- 4:00-4:45, according to your primary area of interest:
- [Choral/Vocal] Observe a Choir of the West rehearsal
- [Winds, Brass, and Percussion] Observe a Wind Ensemble rehearsal
- [Strings] Meet with Dr. Svend Rønning, Area Chair of Strings
- 5:45-6:45pm, Observe Organ Seminar
- 6:00-7:00pm, Observe Violin Seminar
- 7:30-10:00pm, Observe a University Symphony Orchestra rehearsal
EXPLORE OUR ENSEMBLES
PLU Music offers many different ensemble options for our students. Vocal ensembles and instrumental ensembles are open to students via yearly auditions at the beginning of each fall semester. Diverse musical and vocal styles are celebrated, allowing students to build their own custom musical experience.
MEET OUR FACULTY
A talented, cohesive faculty of performers, composers, and authors, drawn from the nation’s finest conservatories and universities, work to develop the whole person in the context of a caring academic community of outstanding students and enthusiastic audiences.