- D.A., Jazz Studies, University of Northern Colorado, 2017
- M.M., Western Oregon University, 2011
- B.M., Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, 2003
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Jazz Composition and Arranging
- Jazz Piano and Jazz Studies
- Brazilian Music
Conducts University Jazz Ensemble, teaches jazz classes.
- Outstanding New Instrumental Composition Award: "Baião Moderno," International Society of Jazz Composers and Arrangers (2017)
- Winner composition: "For the Rise of a New Day," Jazz Education Network Young Composer Showcase (2017)
- Winner composition: "April Song," National Band Association Jazz Composition Competition (2016)
- Winner composition: "For the Rise of a New Day," Ithaca College Jazz Ensemble Composition Contest (2015-2016)
Cassio Vianna is the Director of Jazz Studies and Assistant Professor of Music at Pacific Lutheran University where he is responsible for the University Jazz Ensemble and jazz music courses. Born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Dr. Vianna is a composer, pianist, arranger, and educator whose work reflects the broad range of musical and cultural influences he has received during his years of training. He earned a Bachelor of Music degree from Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, a Master of Music degree from Western Oregon University, and a Doctor of Arts degree in Jazz Studies from the University of Northern Colorado, where he studied jazz composition with David Caffey.
Dr. Vianna has been featured as a performer and/or clinician at festivals and conferences in Brazil, Paraguay, China, and in the U.S. In 2016, he traveled to China to perform and to teach a two week program at the Guangxi Arts Institute (Nanning Provence). In 2017 and 2018, he was featured as a presenter and clinician at the Jazz Education Network Annual Conferences. Before his appointment at PLU, Dr. Vianna was on the faculties at Umpqua Community College and Western Oregon University.
In recent years, Dr. Vianna’s compositions for jazz ensemble have received national recognition, including awards from the National Band Association, Ithaca College, Jazz Education Network, and the International Society of Jazz Arrangers and Composers (ISJAC). Dr. Vianna’s works have been performed by artists such as Martha Reeves, Chris Potter, Tony Kadleck, Danny Gottlieb, Armando Marçal, Chuck Owen’s Jazz Surge Band, Clay Jenkins, David Caffey Jazz Orchestra, and the United States Army Field Band (Jazz Ambassadors), among others. His most recent CD, the album Infância (2017, Teal Creek Music) features his original compositions for jazz orchestra, which are published by UNC Jazz Press.
When not teaching or composing, Dr. Vianna enjoys scoping out the best coffee and exploring the outdoors with his family.
CD No Caminho, by Dialeto Brasileiro trio (Teal Creek Music, 2009)
CD Letters to Grace: A Song Cycle, by Cassio Vianna (Teal Creek Music, 2011)
CD Infância, by Cassio Vianna Jazz Orchestra (Teal Creek Music, 2017)