Alcoholic Beverages

The university is concerned about students and their total physical, mental, and emotional well-being.  The university recognizes that a complex cluster of student and social issues surround the use of alcohol in society and that student views concerning its use vary widely.  The following policy has been established in recognition of Washington State law and out of desire to create a living/learning environment consistent with the university goals and mission.  Community members participating in PLU sponsored study away programs are expected to respect the drinking laws of their host country while upholding the university policy outlined below.  Students living off campus are expected to adhere to local drinking laws.  Violations of local law may be considered violations of the PLU Alcoholic Beverages Policy. In the case where a student is violating the Alcoholic Beverages policy, the university reserves the right to confiscate and dispose of alcoholic beverages and/or containers found on the premises.

  1. Possession and/or consumption of Alcoholic Beverages Of Age: Possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in or on university premises, including most residence halls, regardless of age. Empty alcohol containers and brewing equipment are similarly prohibited. The only exceptions include: the Garfield Commons, events that use University’s Catering and request alcoholic beverages to be served, the University House (which is privately owned), a Community Director’s university housing, South Hall and Harstad Hall (as outlined in the South Hall Alcoholic Beverages Policy and the Conference and Events summer policies), and for the purpose of approved religious worship.  
  2. Possession and/or consumption of Alcoholic Beverages Under Age: The use or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on campus and in the residence halls for any student under the age of 21.  Empty alcohol containers and brewing equipment are similarly prohibited.
  3. Misconduct under the Influence: Misconduct related to consumption, provision of alcohol to others or misuse of alcohol that creates risks for one’s safety, threatens the safety of others, detracts from the living-learning community, disrupts the university community either on or off campus may be a violation of PLU’s Alcoholic Beverages Policy.
  4. Providing Alcohol to Others/Minors: Students who provide alcohol to students under the age of 21, or provide alcohol to apparently intoxicated individuals students, in addition to providing alcohol to students in non-designated areas, are in violation of the expectations of the living-learning community.
  5. In The Presence of Alcohol: Students who are present when an Alcoholic Beverages Policy is being violated are expected to remove themselves from the room/situation and are encouraged to report the violation.  Students who do not leave will be documented on an incident report and referred to the Student Conduct System.  See Residence Hall Communities Policy for further information.
  6. Transport/Medical Attention: Students who need medical attention due to their alcohol consumption, or which threatens the safety of themselves or others, either on or off campus, may be in violation of the PLU’s Alcoholic Beverages policy.
  7. Event Guidelines: If approved alcoholic beverages are available at PLU sponsored off-campus events, then non-alcoholic beverages must also be available. Students must show current valid identification (driver’s license and PLU ID) in order to obtain alcoholic beverages at PLU sponsored on or off-campus functions. At any event sponsored by PLU, alcoholic beverages must be refused to minors, apparently intoxicated individuals, or persons in a state of helplessness.

Use of student government funds or residence hall dues and funds to purchase alcoholic beverages is prohibited.

Students voluntarily seeking assistance for an alcohol-related problem may do so without fear of disciplinary action, and will be treated with the utmost sensitivity and confidentiality.  Such assistance may be sought through a residence hall staff member; the Residential Life Office, 253-535-7200; Health Services, 253-535-7337; Counseling Services, 253-535-7206; Campus Ministry, 253-535-7200; Campus Safety 253-535-7441; and the Office of Student Life, 253-535-7200.  Students who are documented for violating the alcohol policy, and who subsequently request assistance for alcohol related problems, are not exempt from the review process or any sanctions that may result.