2019-2020 New Student Checklist
Important Requirements That Need To Be Completed Before 2019-2020 Classes Begin
Welcome to PLU. Student Financial Services is located in Hauge Administration Building, Room 102, will become your “go to office”
with questions regarding financial aid, including student loans and work study, your student account and billing.
Access To Financial Aid & Student Account
All new students are assigned a PLU ID number in their PLU Admission letter of acceptance. You may ignore the instruction for creating a Banner PIN (admitted to PLU prior to 2019), as that process has been phased out. Instead, go to the Banner Self Service login page and click on the box “First-Time User?” and you will create your PLU ePass. Your PLU ID and ePass will give you on line access to your class registration, your student account, your financial aid award, your calendar year tax related documents, your own demographic information as you’ve provided it to PLU and access to your PLU issued email account.
If you want your parent(s), spouse, legal guardian, or a significant other to have the same access to all this same information, you could do so by giving your PLU ID and ePass information to that person. They could then login to Banner self service using your information as if they were you. Your ePass also gives them access to your PLU email account, so you may not want to provide anyone with this level of access. If we receive request for your information from anyone other than yourself, we are prevented from releasing that information, due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 or FERPA.
Registration for new students begins in mid-June. Before your registration appointment you are required to:
- Complete the online Payment Contract 2019-2020
- The Parent/Legal Guardian Contract (only for students who are under the age of 18 when completing the online Payment Contract). This contract must be submitted by attaching it to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to 253-538-2545, or send by US mail, or in person to Student Financial Services prior to your registration appointment. If not completed and returned before your registration time it will delay your registration.
1. PAYMENT CONTRACT/AGREEMENT 2019-2020 ( REQUIRED )
To Complete Your Online Payment Contract for 2019-2020:
- Go to banweb.plu.edu
- Click on Banner Self-Service
- Enter Secure Area
- Log in with your PLU ID and your ePass
- Go to Student Services
- Select Payment Contract-Required Annually
- Read the Condition of the Financial Aid Offer, WA State Need Grant and IRS 1098-T
- Select I have read and I accept these Terms and Conditions
- Select a Payment Option
- Select the Title IV Authorization (If applicable)
- Select Submit my Payment Contract
- Submit (one more time)
- Print a copy for your records
- If you under the age of 18 when signing online, your parent or legal guardian must also print out, sign, date and return the
Parent/Legal Guardian Contract. This contract is required to be returned by attaching it to an email to email@example.com, or faxed
to 253-538-2545, or send by US mail, or in person to Student Financial Services prior to your registration appointment.
Please note: If at any time you do not fill in the required field(s) a red * will appear and direct you back to complete those fields.
2. EMERGENCY CONTACT (REQUIRED)
All students should have an emergency contact and should confirm their address(s).
- To complete this, go to your Banner Web account, banweb.plu.edu.
- Login and follow the instructions.
3. Electronic Student Billing Information (e-Bill) ( Important to add Additional Recipients )
The Business Office sends monthly electronic billing statements to students at their PLU email during the first week of each month.
If you the student, would like this e-Bill sent to another person(s), you may designate up to 3 additional recipients to receive it. Follow the directions below.
To add up to 3 alternative emails (not including your PLU email):
- Go to banweb.plu.edu
- Click on Banner Self Service
- User Login with your PLU ID and ePass
- Choose Personal Information
- Choose Update E-Mail Addresses
- Carefully read the directions for student e-billing
- To designate an email address other than your PLU email address:
a. Select E-Billing Alternate Student Email Address and/or designate additional recipients
b. Select E-Billing -Additional Recipient’s Email Address from the Type of E-mail to insert dropdown box under the current email address listed.
c. Choose Submit
d. Enter the email address and Submit. You may select the E-Billing –Additional Recipient’s Email Address option, up to 3 times for additional recipients.
4. HOUSING AND MEALS REQUIREMENTS ( REQUIRED - If Living on Campus )
Students living on-campus, are required to sign a PLU Master Housing & Meal Agreement at https://www.plu.edu/residential-life/.
- Go to Quick Links for the contract.
- Read the contract carefully.
- There are additional fees associated with cancelling your room if not done by the deadline dates.
Go to: https://www.plu.edu/residential-life/coming-and-going/cancellation-deadline-and-fees/.
- When you electronically sign your agreement, you are automatically signed up for Meal Plan B, (Seven All-You-Care-To-Eat meals per week, $$$ Dining Dollars and three Guest Meals) If that’s okay with you – you’re done and you don’t have to do anything else.
- However, there are other options. If you’d like to choose another option, go to Quick Links at https://www.plu.edu/dining/.
- To change your meal plan, complete the 2019-2020 Optional Meal Plan Contract found under the 2019-2020 Meal Plans, Quick Links on the above webpage.
- Check deadlines for changing or canceling room and/or meal plans at https://www.plu.edu/dining/.
- There are additional fees and deadline dates associated with cancellations.
5. 2019-2020 CONFIRMATION OF LIVING AT HOME ( REQUIRED – If Living at Home )
PLU requires all full-time students to live in University housing unless the student meets one of the following criteria:
- Lives at home with a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or child; (Notarized/certified documentation required).
- The 2019-2020 Confirmation of Living at Home form can be found at www.plu.edu/residential-life and must be notarized. Residential Life Office has two notaries. There is no charge for this service.
- This form is to be completed by students who are not eligible to live off-campus (as outlined above) and who will be living
with their parent during the 2019-2020 academic year. A new form must be completed each year.
- Read the criteria regarding this policy.
- When completed and notarized, return this form to the Office of Residential Life no less than one day prior to the residence
hall opening for the corresponding semester to avoid non-refundable housing and meal charges.
Pacific Lutheran University
Office of Residential Life
Tacoma, WA 98447
PLEASE NOTE: Students who have not returned the completed form will have an active housing and meal plan record. The housing and meal plan charges will be billed to the student’s account until the form is received in the Office of Residential Life and may incur prorated charges. A student enrolled at the University and living off-campus in violation of the Residency Requirement without the approval of Residential Life for his or her specific living arrangement will be held responsible for the room and meal charges for that period and will be required to move on campus for the remainder of their time under the requirement.
6. FINALIZING YOUR FINANCIAL AID (REQUIRED)
All Students: Complete the Payment Contract (which includes the Terms & Conditions of Financial Aid Award) on your Banner Web account.
- If you wish to borrow any of the educational loans offered to you, accept the loans on Banner Web:
a) Go to banweb.plu.edu
b) Click on Banner Self-Service
c) Enter Secure Area
d) Enter your PLU ID and ePass. Your PLU ID and ePass will be used each time you access your financial aid, student account or registration record in Banner.
e) Select Financial Aid Services
f) Select Award
g) Select Award by Aid Year
h) Select Financial Aid Year 2019-2020
i) Select Submit
j) You will be prompted to make a decision on the loans (and if applicable, work study) that have been offered. You may select
Accept, Decline,or Undecided. Select Submit Decision or, if you wish to accept the entire offer in its original form, simply select Accept Full Amount All Awards. Once you have selected Submit Decision or Accept Full Amount All Awards, the screen will show the current status of your award.
k) If you have been offered a Federal Pell Grant, you cannot accept it online. The Office of Student Financial Services will accept this fund once they have confirmed your eligibility with the U.S. Department of Education.
- Borrowers of the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans: After accepting the loan, first time borrowers must complete an Entrance Counseling session and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov. After completion, these requirements will be updated as “satisfied” on your Banner Web account after July 1, 2019.
- Borrowers of the Federal Nursing Loan: After accepting the loans, you must complete online processes at ipromise.campuspartners.com. You will be emailed in August (January, if entering in the spring) with instructions for completing this process. Additional hard copy paperwork is required for the Federal Nursing Loan, which will be mailed to you by Student Financial Services prior to the start of the semester.
- Borrowers of the Federal Parent PLUS Loan: One parent must sign in at www.studentloans.gov, using their own Social Security Number and FSA ID after July 1, 2019. Parents have the option to borrow up to the full cost of attendance, minus any financial aid awarded to the student (this is the “maximum eligibility” option). Application requires:
a) Authorizing the U.S. Department of Education to perform a credit check on the parent applicant, (notice of loan approval or denial will only take a few seconds),
b) The parent to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) with their FSA ID and password, and
c) Complete the application, which requires providing two references.
d) The outcome of the PLUS application will be downloaded by PLU. Approved loans will result in an update to the PLUS loan amount and/or its status being updated to “CERT” (certified) on Banner Web. We will automatically offer the student an additional $4,000 or $5,000 in the Unsubsidized Direct Loan if the Parent PLUS Loan application is denied. Before the additional loan amount can be processed, the student must accept the additional loan amount on Banner Web.
- Students selected for Verification: Approximately 33% of all FAFSA filers are randomly selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. If selected, you must complete and turn in the applicable Verification Worksheet, downloadable from this website, under the Documents tab. A FAFSA will be selected for one of three verification sub-groups. Be sure you download the worksheet that corresponds to your sub-group. The majority of applications selected for verification will require you to document the income tax information provided on the FAFSA. Documenting your income can be met by submitting a TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT which you can request from the IRS at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript, using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA or submitting a SIGNED copy of the tax return submitted to the IRS. Failure to complete the verification process will prevent any federal, state, or PLU need-based aid from crediting your account.
- Recipients of any outside scholarships: You are required to report any outside scholarships to Student Financial Services. After notifying our office via firstname.lastname@example.org, an email will be sent, to check your Banner Web account, to see how or if the outside scholarship affected your award. You are responsible for ensuring your scholarship(s) credits to your account by August 25. Tell your donors to send your scholarship to the following address:
Student Financial Services & Scholarships
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
- PLU Matching Scholarships for scholarships awarded by your church or Scholarship America/Dollars for Scholars: PLU will match scholarships up to $1,000 per year, per student. Matching requests for church scholarships are made by submitting the PLUMS Application found at: http://www.plu.edu/financial-aid/documents/. Matching requests for ScholarshipAmerica.org scholarships, including those from Dollars for Scholars chapters are made by submitting your scholarship check along with their Matching Awards Request Form. Request for a match will be processed as they are received until funds are depleted.
- Recipients of the Washington State Need Grant/College Bound or Opportunity Scholarships: You must complete and return the Student Directive for State Aid. Failure to return this completed document will prevent PLU from crediting your account with these funds, or releasing the state aid funds to you. The form is on the Office of Student Financial Services website.
7. MEDICAL HISTORY FORM (REQUIRED)
Please submit your Medical History Record with updated immunizations records immediately before classes begin. These are required documents to attend PLU, and if not submitted to the Health Center, will prevent you from registering in future semesters. You can download the Medical History Record form at: https://www.plu.edu/health-center/documents/.
If you need any assistance, contact the Student Health Center at 253-535-7337 or email email@example.com.
8. OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL & COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS (REQUIRED)
- Final official transcripts from high school and any college/university attended are required to start classes!
- Please request your transcript from your school as soon as it shows your graduation date for first year students.
- Transcripts should be sent in the month of June but no later than July 1.
a) High School transcripts must show the actual graduation date.
b) College/University transcripts must show final grades for all courses enrolled.
c) Transcripts must be sent directly from the high school or college/university or must be brought into the Registrar’s office in an officially sealed envelope from the school.
d) Transcripts can be sent to:
PLU Registrar’s Office
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98447
e) Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have questions call 253-535-7131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. COMPLETE AN INCOMING EDUCATIONAL MODULE (REQUIRED)
It is important that all students be aware of the expectations for behavior that PLU has for its members and the policies in place to outline these standards.
- It will be available to access on August 1 and is required to be completed before the first day of classes.
- Instructions on how to complete the module and the due date will be sent to your PLU e-mail.
- Failure to complete the module will result in a hold being placed on your student account.
- You will need your PLU epass to complete this module.