What is Verification?
If your FAFSA is selected, federal regulations require schools to verify the accuracy of the information you submitted on your FAFSA. Your financial aid offer is not final and need-based aid funds, (at PLU, those with an asterisk (*) in its name), will not disburse (pay) on your account) until verification is completed.
The federal FAFSA processor randomly selects students submitting a FAFSA at every school. PLEASE NOTE: Verification has been suspended for the 2022-23 academic year for students selected for the DEPENDENT V1 or INDEPENDENT V1 subgroup. Verification documents are STILL required from students selected for the V4 or V5 subgroups. For 2023-24, no verification subgroups have been suspended.
2: What happens if I miss the deadline to submit the required documents or don’t complete verification?
- Your need based aid will not disburse until verification is completed and will be canceled if it is not completed when more than 60% of the term has elapsed (Nov. 6, 2022 for fall semester, April 5, 2023 for Jterm/spring, and April 17, 2023 for spring semester only). Your award may be reinstated if verification is completed after the deadline, pending any changes necessitated via the verification process.
- Your class registration will be canceled, put on hold, or you won’t be able to register unless you pay your university charges without your need-based financial aid.
- The university will charge applicable late fees on your student account owing balance.
- You will be responsible for paying your entire costs without the benefit of your need-based financial aid.
YES! If the information on your FAFSA is different from the information on your tax forms and verification worksheet, we must correct your FAFSA accordingly. If the corrections alter your EFC and results in a change to your award, you will be sent an email message, directing you to the resulting revised aid award on your Banner Self-service account. If your EFC is unchanged, the message will read “The verification process on your FAFSA has been processed with no changes to your aid offer. Therefore, do NOT make any changes to your FAFSA hereafter.”
- If you filed FAFSA on the web, your Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent to your email address. The SAR will read: “You’ve been selected for a process called verification”
- You will also receive email from Student Financial Services requesting the required verification documents if they haven’t been already submitted. Please note that verification documents for new students are not required at PLU until after you have submitted your admission deposit.
Any change made to your FAFSA at anytime during the year may result in your application being selected for verification. This makes paying attention to any SAR you receive (generated after each FAFSA change is processed) very important, as well as promptly submitting the required documents. To avoid being selected for verification unnecessarily, check with us before making a corrections to determine if the change is even required or necessary.
Verification must be completed even though a Special Circumstance Letter has been applied to your FAFSA data. The Special Circumstance Letter will be re-applied to your verified FAFSA information.
Please note: Verification of parent and/or student information could result in an adjustment (increase or decrease) to the “Offer of Financial Aid.”