Kory Brown, Ph.D.
Curriculum Vitae: View my CV
- Ph.D., Management & Strategy, University of Utah, 2010
- M.B.A., Idaho State University, 1995
- B.S.E.E., Brigham Young University, 1991
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Corporate Strategy
- Global Management
- Collaborative Innovation
- Professional Achievement Award – Idaho State University, 2016
- Wells Fargo Award for Outstanding Teaching – Pacific Lutheran University, 2012
- Dean’s Service Award – Pacific Lutheran University, 2011
- Outstanding Reviewer Award - Western Academy of Management, 2009, 2011
- Doctoral Student Teaching Excellence Award – University of Utah, 2009
- Best Doctoral Student Paper – Western Academy of Management, 2008
- Academy of Management
- Western Academy of Management
Dr. Brown teaches strategy, entrepreneurship and global management in the undergraduate program at PLU. His scholarship in entrepreneurship and innovation coupled with substantial executive-level industry experience and business ownership align with his teaching topics and create opportunities for students to engage both the theory and application of management in unique and powerful ways. Leveraging techniques and frameworks developed through research and practice, Dr. Brown engages students to apply their academic knowledge to live projects in the region and around the world. This has resulted in academic consulting projects with over one hundred companies (companies and organizations like T-Mobile, Madigan, Port of Tacoma, MultiCare, United Way, KPLU, Port of Tacoma). Additionally, entrepreneurship students build real companies selling real products and experience real failures (a key component of Dr. Brown’s entrepreneurship scholarship).
Recently recognized as Idaho State University’s 2016 College of Business Professional Achievement Award winner, Dr. Brown leverages his experience as CEO of PNKLINK, Inc., vice president of ZMD in Dresden, Germany, management consultant with Technology Strategy Consulting, and various management and industry positions with AMI Semiconductor (now On Semiconductor) to inform his scholarly contributions to entrepreneurship pedagogy and collaborative innovation.
Dr. Brown has extensive involvement in standard organizations and technologies such as ZigBee, Bluetooth, USB and IrDA that rely on collaborative innovation for success. With significant client-side experience with McKinsey & Co. management consultants and many opportunities to pitch venture capitalists around the world, Dr. Brown melds theory and practice of strategy and entrepreneurship in such a way that invites students to engage deeply. Multiple teaching awards acknowledge the value of this approach.