- The president of the university shall be a member of a Lutheran church, or of a Christian denomination with which the ELCA has a relationship of full communion; shall be the executive head of the university; shall be an advisory member of all university committees; and shall report regularly to the Board of Regents, or whenever required by them, concerning the work and needs of the university.
- The president shall nominate to the Board of Regents for their approval all senior administrative officers, such as provost, vice presidents, and academic deans, as well as tenure-eligible members of the faculty. The president shall recommend for approval by the Board of Regents faculty promotions. The president shall have authority to make temporary appointments of senior officers.
- The president shall cause to be prepared a budget for each year to be submitted to the Board of Regents for their approval.
- The president of the university shall, together with the provost, the chair of the Board of Regents, and the secretary of the Board of Regents, sign all diplomas given in evidence of degrees granted by the university.
- The president shall promote the purpose of the university and its ideals of scholarship both in the faculty and among the students.
- If the president deems it necessary for good cause, the president may suspend a teacher or administrative officer, and shall, within three (3) days, inform the executive committee of the Board of Regents, whereupon the executive committee shall be responsible for subsequent procedures.
- The president may be removed from office for cause deemed sufficient by the Board of Regents, upon a two-thirds vote of the entire Board of Regents.
- The president shall report to the annual meeting of the Corporation.