PLU offers wellness classes for staff and faculty during each term throughout the year. Past classes have included spinning, fit club, aerobics, weight training, and many more. Please see our Wellness webpage for current class offerings.
The YMCA strives to build strong communities by offering a wide assortment of services. The registration fee, when signing up for a membership, is waived for PLU employees. Visit their website at www.ymca.net for more information.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The professional counselors at First Choice EAP provide a free problem assessment and referral service where you and your immediate family members can go for help in solving a variety of emotional, behavioral, family, relationship, financial, elder care and mental health or chemical dependency concerns. Complete confidentiality is assured.
There are a number of campus resources available to employees and their dependents. Please inquire with the appropriate department for hours of operation, performance schedules, costs, etc.
PLU employees who sign up for a membership with the Star Center in Tacoma will receive a discounted monthly rate and pay no enrollment fee. Just stop by the Star Center for a tour and show proof of PLU employment to qualify. Members have access to:
- 30 group fitness classes a week, including, Spin, Zumba, Yoga & more
- Fitness facility equipped with all major cardio and strength machines
- Kinesis Workout Studio – an incredible low-impact, full-body workout
- Two off-site pools, which include free lap swim and family swim
- Discounts on swim lessons and aqua fitness classes
- Free child watch for up to two hours per day (must have child pass and adult pass)
- Discounts at Subway restaurant located inside STAR Center
- Personal trainers available
- Discounts on cooking & nutrition classes
PLU employees enrolled in PLU’s medical plan can visit the Kaiser Permanente website to access online health information, tools, and services that make health care accessible and convenient, 24 hours a day. Members can schedule appointments, exchange emails with their health care team, and view their online medical records and test results after registering as a member.