Visa Sponsorship Info for PLU Departments

Is your department looking to hire someone who requires a Visa to work at PLU? Are you interested in bringing a scholar from another country to do research with your department at PLU? Please review the list of Visa options below to assist you in finding the right category for your international visitor or faculty member.

Please visit the Human Resources website for more information.

Visiting Scholars and professors are a valued part of the PLU community. The Wang Center is here to provide assistance with initial campus logistics, as well as support with immigration services.

The broad purpose of the Exchange Visitor program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange in order to develop mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries.

PLU is authorized to support the following categories on a J-1 Visa: Professor, Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, Specialist, and Student.

The sponsoring department and the Wang Center will review the qualifications of the prospective Exchange Visitor to ensure that his or her English language proficiency and academic background are suitable for the intended activity. Please allow three or four months in advance of the start date to allow for document preparation and visa processing.

Individuals on J-1 status are not permitted to be tenure-track. Some J-1 scholars are subject to a two-year home residency requirement and may not be eligible for an extension of stay. J-1 Research Scholars and Professors are not permitted to remain on J visa status for more than 5 years.

Funding: The Exchange Visitor (EV) must be substantially (over 50%) funded by sources other than the EV’s personal or family funds. Institutional, governmental, or agency funding can be supplemented by the individual’s personal funds, although the individual’s personal funds may not be the primary source of funding. While visiting professors hired by PLU will receive a salary for their teaching, PLU is not required to fund Exchange Visitors. Additionally, the EV is required to carry a health insurance policy that meets the Department of State minimum requirements.

Refer prospective visiting scholars to complete an online application. A Wang Center representative will be in touch with them.

What are the Wang Center’s responsibilities when hosting a visiting scholar?

  • Provide J visa services (DS 2019 form & invitation letter)
  • Process applications
  • Provide information on health insurance requirements
  • Conduct initial orientation – access to ePass, PLU ID card, campus tour, library access
  • Record keeping of all current and past visiting scholars

What are the sponsoring department’s responsibilities when hosting a visiting scholar? 

  • Ongoing advice for research project and/or teaching experience
  • Individual advice on getting established in Tacoma and at PLU
  • Locating office space, inviting to department/faculty meetings, department logistics (if applicable)

Contact the Wang Center if your department has questions about hosting a visiting scholar. 

Please visit the Human Resources website for more information.

Please visit the Human Resources website for more information.


The Business Office has prepared a useful document regarding payments and tax information for non-citizens