Advising in the School of Business
As a student in the School of Business you will have a professional advisor to help guide you through your academic requirements and graduation planning. The undergraduate advisor, Becki Torgerson, is located in the School of Business suite on the first floor of the Morken Center. In addition, we highly recommend that all students build a relationship with one or more faculty in their concentration area for help with career exploration and planning.
What to expect from your School of Business Undergraduate Advisor
The School of Business Undergraduate Advisor serves as the official Advisor for all intended and declared Business Administration students. The Undergraduate Advisor will advise students by:
- Maintain all student files
- Discuss your progress toward completion of general education requirements, credit requirements, PLU residency requirements, and major requirements
- Evaluate transfer credits within the School of Business
- Coordinate the process of exception requests
- Process all School of Business majors and minors declarations
- Providing guidance through the course selection process during registration
- Distributing registration access codes
- Discuss the relationship between academic preparation and the work world.
It should be noted that advisors do not make educational decisions for their students. However, we offer strong support by way of providing the most accurate information available, being a reliable resource, advocating for our student and providing encouragement.
Student Responsibilities for Success
Students also have responsibilities for taking an active role their academic pathway. Business majors work closely with the Undergraduate Advisor to:
- Learn degree requirements, policies and procedures
- Create a realistic course plan
- Learn to monitor progress toward their BBA degree
- Proactively participate in the decision-making process
- Meet regularly with their advisor and be prepared with questions or concerns
- Accept responsibility for academic decisions and performance.
- Actively seek to develop the PLU Values: to educate students for lives of thoughtful inquiry, service, leadership, and care.
Appointments with the School of Business Undergraduate Advisor maybe scheduled through the School of Business office on the first floor of the Morken Center or call the receptionist at 253-535-7244.
Faculty Advisor Support
All business students will also be assigned a Faculty Advisor once they have officially declared their concentration. A Faculty Advisor will help:
- Assist in considering employment opportunities
- Sponsor internships
- Assist in developing your community networking skills
- Advocate for you
- Write letters of recommendation for scholarships, graduate school, or employment opportunities