- Professor of Music
- D.M.A., Conducting, University of North Texas, 2002
- M.M.E., University of Cincinnati College - Conservatory of Music, 1995
- B.M.E., University of the Pacific, 1987
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Music Education
Conducts University Wind Ensemble, teaches Music Education and Conducting classes, Director Northwest High School Honor Band.
- Journal of Band Research
- National Band Association Journal
- Voice Magazine
- Faculty Excellence Award for Mentoring 2014-2015
- Contributing Author to the 10-volume "Teaching Music Through Performance in Band" text series by GIA Publications
- Arranger of Ave Maria by Anton Bruckner, Maestro and Fox Publishing
Edwin C. Powell is the Director of Bands and Professor of Music at Pacific Lutheran University where he is responsible for the University Wind Ensemble, Conducting and Music Education Methods courses. In 2015 he was the recipient of a Pacific Lutheran University Faculty Excellence Award. Dr. Powell earned degrees from the University of the Pacific, the Cincinnati College – Conservatory of Music and The University of North Texas where he completed a Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting studying with Eugene Migliaro Corporon.
Previous to his 2005 appointment at PLU, Dr. Powell was on faculty at the University of Tennessee, where he was Assistant Director of Bands responsible for the Symphonic Band, the 350 member Pride of the Southland Marching Band, conducting courses and music education methods courses.
Dr. Powell maintains an active schedule as a clinician and adjudicator worldwide conducting groups from San Francisco, California to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He enjoys producing recordings, is a contributing author for the immensely popular textbook series Teaching Music Through Performance in Band, by GIA Publications, and is published in the NBA Journal, Voice Magazine and the Journal of Band Research.