Certification Options for Persons Who Hold a Baccalaureate Degree From a Regionally-Accredited Institution

Persons who hold a baccalaureate degree (or higher) from a regionally-accredited institution and who wish to pursue a teaching certificate should make an appointment with the School of Education for a planning session. Options for these individuals can be found in the Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate section of this catalog.

To view graduate-level work in the School of Education and Kinesiology, go to the Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate section of this catalog or www.plu.edu/education/ppd/

Professional Teaching Certificate

Teachers must earn their Professional Certificate during their first few years of teaching. This Certificate is earned via a passing score on the ProTeach assessment. Check with OSPI for specific timelines and requirements. Within a five-year period, after completing the probationary period for teaching in one district, teachers in Washington must earn a Professional Certificate (WAC 18-79A-145), PLU offers a preparation program to assist teachers in preparation and submission of the ProTeach assessment. More information is available on the School of Education’s webpage.

Qualifications for the Professional Certificate

To qualify for a Professional Certificate, an individual must have completed provisional status as a teacher in a public school pursuant to RCW 28A.405.220 or the equivalent in a state board of education approved private school.

Additional Endorsement Options for Educators