Traveling internationally is a complicated process. If traveling internationally, you must work with the Office for Student Engagement in conjunction with the Wang Center for Global and Community Engaged Education. This process should be initiated at least 9-12 months prior to departure date. For detailed guidelines following the Wang Center for Global and Community Engaged Education policies, procedures, and resources please review the study away policies at: https://www.plu.edu/studyaway/documents/.
The following types of things need to be taken care of before a trip can be approved:
- Identify an Advisor or Faculty/Staff member who will accompany you on this trip
- Signature must be acquired
- Identify a clear location/destination in which you will be traveling to
- This location will need to be cleared through the Wang Center for Global and Community Engaged Education to ensure that there are no travel warnings for this destination
- Consult with the Wang Center for Global and Community Engaged Education to ensure completion of proper trainings
- Trip leader trainings
- Student trainings
- Provide a detailed itinerary
- Hotel names (star ratings included)
- Submit proper paperwork
- Confidential Medical Statement for Travel
- Statement of Responsibility and Authorization Waiver
- See below for a complete list of documentation
For all student organization travel that will include an overnight stay, trip leaders are required to complete a pre-departure itinerary at least two weeks prior to the scheduled departure date. An orientation, which is an in-person meeting facilitated by representatives from Student Engagement will address issues including but not limited to health, safety, security, accident procedures, and expectations – all trip participants must be present. If traveling overseas, you must also schedule a meeting with our Director of Risk Management, Sue Liden, to go over foreign travel insurance.
Liability Waivers and Forms
All PLU student participants in student club/organization domestic and international travel must sign a liability waiver prior to departure. Student Engagement will obtain liability waivers for the organization upon submission of completed documentation. Signed waivers must be returned to the Office for Student Engagement at least three days prior to departure . The Office for Student Engagement reserves the right to withdraw a student from a planned trip if they fail to submit their paperwork on time. For overnight trips, additional health forms may be required. To view a complete list of all appropriate forms needing to be completed, please visit our website and view the Risk Management + Travel Forms portion of the Documents section: https://www.plu.edu/clubs/documents/
- Faculty/Staff Statement of Responsibility and Authorization Waiver (if traveling internationally)
- Faculty/Staff Confidential Medical Statement for Travel (only needed if traveling internationally)
- Student Statement of Responsibility and Authorization Waiver
- Student Confidential Medical Statement for Travel (only needed if traveling internationally)
PLU does not provide insurance coverage for personal vehicles used in student club/organization travel. Clubs/Organizations are responsible for their own insurance coverage and the payment of all claims and damages if using a personal vehicle. PLU’s auto insurance will provide coverage for vehicles rented for PLU sponsored activities.